Why apply a surgical suture?
Reasons for applying a surgical suture are:
- to place the tissues in their natural anatomical conditions such as before surgery.
- to facilitate the cicatricial processes making possible a faster healing and by first intention.
- to have a haemostatic effect.
- to not leave dead spaces.
- to prevent contamination of the surgical site by microorganisms and external agents.
- to prevent the septic content of hollow organs that are anastomosed with each other or repaired (as can happen after some perforations) from polluting the surrounding environment.